Could you be an Ethical Optic Rep?
If you love watching wildlife and you’re an ethical shopper, you might be just who we’re looking for. We’re looking to build a team of nature lovers who can test and review ethical optics, raise awareness of ethical consumerism in the wildlife watching world and speak to their peers about why ethics are important.
We’re looking for people who share our belief that optics companies, like all companies, should be transparent with their customers about where their products come from and what they are used and marketed for. If you agree with all, or even some, of the issues raised on this website and would like to use ethical optics yourself, we might be able to help you out.
What are we looking for?
- A diverse team of people across the UK championing ethical optics to their peers
- People who are happy to provide written and video reviews of ethical optics products, for use on social media and our website
- To support people who might otherwise struggle to access optics, by providing them with high quality, ethical equipment
- To support projects who are aiming to make birdwatching and nature watching accessible to all
We’d love for our reps to share all our beliefs, but we recognise that these are complex issues, and you don’t have to agree with every conclusion in the Ethical Consumer reports. What we’re looking for is an understanding of the issues, a passion for wildlife and a commitment to ethical consumerism. You don’t have to have a high public or social profile. You might be an artist or a writer, a tour guide or photographer, a filmmaker, charity worker or project manager, an amateur naturalist or a keen birdwatcher.
Want to get involved?
If you’d like to find out more about becoming a rep for us, please contact Lucy with the following information:
- Your name, vague location and year of birth
- Whether you’re applying for yourself or on behalf of a project/organisation
- A short paragraph outlining your love for nature
- Your reflections on cruelty-free and ethical optics
- Links to any social media accounts or personal blogs
- Your preferred ethical brand and what equipment you’re looking for (binoculars, telescope, monocular, etc. We are unable to provide cameras.)
What’s in it for you?
Successful applicants will receive equipment from an ethical company (as outlined here), either on short-term or long-term loan or on a permanent basis. You’ll get a profile on our website and we will amplify your reviews and blogs. You’ll be invited to attend an online webinar before signing up.
What do we need from you?
Ideally, we are looking for champions of ethical optics brands: people who feel confident talking about ethical optics with friends, peers, colleagues or on social media. We’re also looking for reviews and thought pieces for our website, so we’d need to a commitment of at least two short videos or articles per year – these could be reviews of the products or showcasing yourself/your project using them, or reflections on one of the issues raised. Finally, we’re looking for a commitment to using ethical brands.
If you’d like to get involved, please get in touch with Lucy to find out more!